Office of The Health Department

Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00 A.M. – 4:30 P.M
Telephone: (201) 585-4105
Fax: (201) 944-6748

Health Officer/Administrator: Branka Lulic, MPA, HO, REHS
Registered Environmental Health Specialist: Christine Kim, REHS
Registrar of Vital Statistics/Administrative Secretary: Lucy Hanrahan, CMR

The local health department provides public health services to the residents of Palisades Park with the goal of preserving, protecting and promoting good health, well-being and the quality of life for all the residents in our community.

We work towards this goal by:

  • Monitoring health status to identify community health problems;
  • Diagnosing and investigating health problems and health hazards in the community;
  • Informing, educating, and empowering people about health issues;
  • Mobilizing community partnerships to identify and solve health problems;
  • Developing policies and plans that support individual and community health efforts;
  • Enforcing laws and regulations that protect health and ensure safety;
  • Linking people to needed personal health services and assuring preventive care when otherwise unavailable;
  • Assuring a competent public health workforce;
  • Evaluating effectiveness, accessibility and quality of personal and population-based health services; and
  • Examining research for new insights and innovative solutions to health problems.

The Palisades Park Board of Health’s services are designed to motivate people towards positive behavioral change so as to prevent serious health problems through health promotion, early identification, disease prevention, and general health maintenance helping to improve the overall health of the community.

Services Provided Include:

Environmental Health Inspection Services
Health Education
Vital Statistics
Resource and Referrals to Other Health Organizations
Public Health Complaint Investigations

Health Hotlines:

Aids: 800-624-2377
Alcohol helpline: 800-622-5525
Nj family care: 800-701-0710
Poison control: 800-222-1222
Animal control: 201-621-4111
Non-emergency helpline: 2-1-1

(Information and referral services available 24 hours a day – free and confidential)

FAQ’s (Frequently Asked Questions)

How do I purchase a certified copy of a birth record, a marriage record or a death record?

Palisades Park maintains records of births, marriages and deaths that have occurred in Palisades Park. Certified copies of Palisades Park vital records may be purchased by mail or in person in our office. Certified copies of vital records may only be obtained by qualified applicants as defined by state regulations.

The fee for a certified copy of a record is $15.00 for one copy and $10.00 for each additional copy of the same record purchased at that time. Exact cash, check/money order payable to Palisades Park Health Department is accepted.

Application forms are available at our office and on our web site. Vital record applications must be completed in full and submitted with all acceptable identification required for that record. All documents used for identification must be government issued, current and not expired. Complete the section of the application form that applies to the type of record that you are requesting fully. When entering names, it is important that you include exact information, full dates and full and complete legal names. Middle names must be completely spelled out, with no use of initials.

How do I apply for a marriage license?

The marriage license application is to be made in the New Jersey municipality in which either party resides and the license is valid throughout the State of New Jersey. If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage ceremony will be performed. In this case, the license is only valid in and may only be used in the issuing municipality.

Who Must Come to Apply:

  • Bride and Groom – Both the bride and groom must appear in our office to apply for a marriage license.
  • Witness – Only one witness, who is over 18 years of age and knows them both.
  • Translators: If either of the applicants or the witness does not speak English you must bring a translator.

What to Bring:

  • Identification and Proof of Age (must be at least 18 yrs. old to apply for a marriage license). Acceptable identification and proof of age.
  • Proof of Residency – Driver’s license, utility bill, apartment lease, or tax bill.
  • Marriage Officiant Information – Applicants should have information about who is going to marry them, where, and when, which includes a mailing address and phone for the officiant.
  • Fee: $28.00 Cash or check payable to Palisades Park Health Department.

Three (3) Day Waiting Period

In New Jersey, there is a mandatory three (3) day or 72 hours waiting period from the time that you apply for a license until you can pick it up for use. If you are planning to be married on a particular weekend, the latest that you can apply is the Tuesday before, in order to satisfy the three days (72 hours) by Friday, since we are NOT open on the weekends for the release of marriage licenses.

Marriage Application Form

Do not sign the marriage application prior to going to the Municipal Registrar. You must sign the application, while under oath, in the presence of the issuing registrar at the health department.

How do I license/renew a pet (dog/cat) license?

Pet licensing is part of our municipal rabies control program. Pet licensing ensures that pets have up to date rabies immunizations, which protects your family and pets against rabies. Licensing encourages pet population control, through the low cost spay and neuter program and license discounts for spayed or neutered pets. Licensing also has the added benefit of providing an easy way of identifying lost pets so they can be quickly returned to their proper owners.

When do I have to license my cat or dog?

Pets are required to get a license when they are old enough to get a rabies vaccination. This is generally when they are three months of age or older.

What information must be included with my application?

Proof of your pet’s current rabies immunization from your veterinarian. NJ State Health Department regulations require the duration of your pet’s rabies immunization to be concurrent with the license year (i.e. must not expire before April 1st of the license year)

Proof of spaying or neutering. proof from your veterinarian that your pet has been spayed or neutered.

What are the fees?

Cat or dog license or renewals made before July 31st
1-year licenses:

  • with proof of spay/neuter…….$8.00
  • not spayed/neutered…………….$11.00

3-year licenses:

  • with proof of spay/neuter…….$22.00
  • not spayed/neutered…………….$32.00

Late renewals after July 31st or licensing after a notice of violation/summons are subject to a $10 late fee per pet.

How do I open a new or existing business in Palisades Park?

Prospective business owners should check with the Building Department to apply for a Certificate of Occupancy/Continued Certificate of Occupancy, zoning approvals, and/or construction permits, etc. Also, check with other departments such as Fire and the Boro Clerk for additional requirements.

Health Department licenses are not transferable. When a business changes ownership, the new owners must apply and receive approval to operate from the Health Department.

If your business is or contains any of the following: food establishment (retail, wholesale, and pharmacy), cosmetology salon, child care facility, school, kennel, pet shop, massage establishment, spa/sauna, swimming pool/waterpark that is open to the public or serves a multiple-family dwelling, adult daycare facility, etc. then detailed blueprint plans and specifications must be submitted to the Health Department for review and approval before construction can begin using the application below.

How do I obtain/renew my health department business license?

Please be advised that all Health Department licenses issued to businesses under the health department’s regulatory oversight expire on December 31st of each year and are non-transferrable. Renewal applications are mailed out yearly to all currently licensed businesses but it is the business owner’s responsibility to ensure that the license is renewed in a timely manner to avoid late fees, penalties, and or closure by January 31st of the calendar year.

Kindly fill out and sign the license application and return it together with the appropriate fees payable to Palisades Park Health Department on or before January 31st of the current year.

How do I make a public health complaint?

The Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS) investigates complaints about environmental health hazards. In addition, the REHS investigates complaints concerning the businesses that we regulate within the Boro. This includes all food establishments, cosmetology establishments, child care centers and schools, massage establishments, public swimming pools, spas/saunas, and pet shops among others. The Health Department also investigates public health complaints relative to heat, hot water, insects, lead paint, rodents, garbage, and poison ivy, etc.

Complaints can be called in, emailed, faxed, or given directly in person with the location of the premises complained of, the nature of the complaint, and the complainant’s information for the purpose of follow-up; however, anonymous complaints are accepted and will be investigated to ensure public health and safety.

How do I report an animal bite?

Because warm blooded animals, such as cats, dogs, bats, raccoons, skunks and other wildlife, can carry and transmit rabies, animal bites that have occurred in Palisades Park should always be reported to the Health Department.

For bites that occurred in Palisades Park, if you are making a report Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 4:30 pm call the Health Department at 201 585-4105. If you are making a report after normal business hours or on a weekend, call the police department at 201 944-0900.

How do I find out about available clinic services?

The Palisades Park Health Department provides preventative clinical services through a shared service agreement with the Ridgefield Health Department for child health conference (well child services), adolescent health, and adult health to qualified residents of Palisades Park. All clinics are held at the Ridgefield Health Department located at 725 Slocum Avenue; Ridgefield, NJ 07657 and are by appointment only. Call 201-943-6062 to speak with the Public Health Nurse.

New Jersey Family Care Insurance

New Jersey Family Care provides quality free or low-cost health coverage for uninsured children and teens 18 and younger. Find out if you are eligible today by calling 800-701-0710 or go to

North Hudson Community Action Corporation – Federally Qualified Health Center

North Hudson Community Action Corporation (NHCAC) recognized the need for primary care which led to the creation of the Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC). The Health Center provides primary health care at eight (8) locations, West New York, Union City, North Bergen, Jersey City, Hoboken, Passaic and Hackensack. Services include adult medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics/gynecology, family planning, dental, psychiatric and mental health services. Contact information is as follows: 201-996-2121 or visit web site

Bergen Volunteer Medical Initiative

The Bergen Volunteer Medical Initiative is operating a physician’s office staffed by volunteer physicians, nurses and other health care professionals for the purpose of providing free primary care to Bergen County Residents who meet certain income guidelines but have neither medical insurance nor the means to pay for care. Patients will be seen by appointment. For additional information or appointments call: 201-342-2478 or go to web site

Does the Health Department offer flu vaccine?

Contact the office at 201-585-4105 for more information.